Here are the two important recipes.
These are the recipes we used for our gingerbread creations, but feel free to use your own.
2 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Ginger
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Shortening
1/2 Cup Molasses
3 Tablespoons Hot Water
1. Combine ingredients in a large bowl
2. Blend well. Add paste food coloring if you wish
3. Chill overnight
4. Roll onto Teflon (no stick) baking sheets, 1/4 inch thich
5. Chill on pans for easy handling
6. Cut out shapes and remove excess dough
7. Bake 8-10 minutes in 400 degree oven
Note: The ingredients in this recipe were multiplied 10 times, in order to make enough to build ONE of the houses shown here (not counting the "Haunted House").
The Royal Icing
This recipe calls for raw egg whites.
For safetly reasons (food born illness such as Salmonella), I would recommend finding an egg white alternative, such as pasteurized liquid egg whites which can be found in most grocery stores.
3 Egg Whites (or safe egg equivalent)
1/2 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1 Pound 10X Sugar
Cream of Tartar makes it stiff
More sugar makes it thick
add water to thin mixture
Color ONLY with paste food colors