Here are the two important recipes.
These are the recipes we used for our gingerbread creations, but feel free to use your own.
Note: The ingredient amounts in these recipe can be multiplied depending on the size of the house.
(*The Phantom Manor Cookie House project used store bought sugar cookie dough)
2 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Ginger
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Shortening
1/2 Cup Molasses
3 Tablespoons Hot Water
1. Combine ingredients in a large bowl
2. Blend well. Add paste food coloring if you wish
3. Chill overnight
4. Roll onto Teflon (no stick) baking sheets, 1/4 inch thich
5. Chill on pans for easy handling
6. Cut out shapes and remove excess dough
7. Bake 8-10 minutes in 400 degree oven
The Royal Icing
This recipe calls for raw egg whites.
For safetly reasons (food born illness such as Salmonella), I would recommend finding an egg white alternative, such as pasteurized liquid egg whites which can be found in most grocery stores.
3 Egg Whites (or pasteurized egg whites equivalent)
1/2 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1 Pound 10X Sugar
More sugar makes it thick
Add water to thin mixture.
Color ONLY with paste food colors